As part of our response to the Covid-19 crisis Ethex is hosting a donation fundraising campaign for local food bank charity SOFEA.
SOFEA is an Oxfordshire-based charity and social enterprise distributing hundreds of tonnes of good quality surplus food to the vulnerable and disadvantaged in our communities each year.
In response to the Covid-19 crisis, SOFEA has implemented an immediate plan to:
• Provide food boxes each week to 5,500 disadvantaged and vulnerable individuals and families through 23 Community Larders in the Thames Valley and 16 across the South Midlands – all at no charge.
• Equivalent of 118 tonnes of food each month, providing 295,000 meals.
• A retail value of over £236,000.
• Encourage people who are not currently members to sign up and access these larders at no charge.
• Work with other organisations to open more larders in locations where there are large groups of vulnerable people – particularly in areas of multiple deprivation.
• Do this with due regard to safe and hygienic practice, taking current advice into account.
Whilst SOFEA is giving this food away for free, it is losing £83,000 of unrestricted income each month. This funding would cover direct operational costs for keeping its Oxfordshire and Milton Keynes warehouses open longer, its vans on the road for more hours and its staff taking on more commitments. In line with the rising growth in demand and the planned increase in numbers of Larders, the operational costs of staff and fuel to keep the Larder network supplied, delivered and scaled will also continue to increase.
Any money that you can donate will go towards ensuring that vital food supplies are getting to those that need them most in our local area during these extremely challenging times as Ethex will not be charging any fees for this campaign.
Aims, what they do and who benefits
The Ethex team are here to help from 9am to 5pm
01865 403 304