The business of BHESCo is to:
- Project manage the installation of renewable energy and energy efficiency systems,
- Own and operate the renewable energy systems to generate electricity and heat,
- Own and operate energy efficiency systems to save electricity and heat,
- Conduct energy surveys, advising on best practice for energy management,
- Give impartial advice on energy bills to customers and raise awareness of the importance of regular switching of energy supplier, taking action to reduce fuel poverty.
Their solar PV systems are located on the roofs of buildings, including offices, schools, industrial estates, public and community buildings, avoiding the use of green fields for solar arrays. Smaller scale biomass plant will be located on customers’ premises.
Larger scale systems such as district heating will deliver low-cost heat to communities from renewable sources like food waste, ground-source and air-source heat.
The Co-operative will receive income from the Feed-in tariff and the Renewable Heat Incentive and sell the energy generated to the customer at a discounted price.
To the extent that more is generated than the customer consumes, electricity will be sold at a guaranteed export price to the National Grid.