Want to work with mission-driven people?
Ethex is the positive investment retail platform that brings together the best positive savings and investment opportunities to make it easy for everyone to 'make money do good'.
We are looking for a COO (one year maternity cover) to carry out the effective management of operations, processes and people to ensure successful running of the business, which includes both the Ethex platform and our sister platform, Energise Africa.
This is an excellent opportunity to be part of an organisation tackling climate change, building resilient communities and fighting poverty.
Chief Operating Officer (one year maternity cover)
Full time (4 days a week also considered)
£40,000 to £48,000 DOE
Closing date for applications: 13th December, 2019
1st interviews: 17th/18th December, 2019
2nd interviews: 19th December, 2019
The COO role puts you at the strategic heart of Ethex and at the cutting edge of delivering growth to make positive investing mainstream. The COO is responsible for the successful running of the business on a day-to-day basis which includes both the Ethex platform and our 50% owned sister platform, Energise Africa.
Leading a team of four, and working across Ethex and with our partner organisations, the COO must make decisions pertinent to the operation of both platforms and ensure efficient and effective management of processes and people, to deliver against a growth strategy for Ethex and Energise Africa. There are five key strands to the role:
Platform Compliance, Risk and Operations
- Oversight of the business performance of the two platforms – Ethex and Energise Africa. Specifically, ensuring we are meeting regulatory requirements and investor needs when order handling, managing products and when acting as a share registrar.
- Ensuring back office systems and procedures are efficient, comprehensive and fit-for-purpose, and spearheading the design & review of improvements.
- Overseeing key customer relationships with service providers, escalation point for businesses and investors for difficult queries and complaints, and overseeing new contracts.
Organisational & Team Leadership
- Providing strategic input to the boards and senior management teams of Ethex and Energise Africa.
- Working with the CEO on staff engagement and ensuring appropriate internal communications and regular updates on company strategy.
- Deputising for the CEO in her absence.
- Managing and leading the operations team and resources to deliver against a growth strategy.
Programme & Service Delivery
- Responsible for project management and implementation of special projects relevant to the operations of the businesses as appropriate.
- Ensuring effective delivery of Cooperative management services for Westmill, acting as their company secretary and managing their accounts.
- Oversight and management of the finances for Ethex, Energise Africa and Westmill Solar Co-operative, equivalent of an FD function.
- Managing budgets and allocation of resources for existing and new projects for Ethex and Energise Africa.
- Providing financial direction and scenario planning by liaising with internal and external stakeholders and managing our business models.
- Preparation of management accounts and year-end accounts
Business Risk Management / Body Corporate
- Owner of Ethex’s suite of policies and procedures including our Employment Manual and associated policies, Business Continuity Plan, and our Organisational Risk Management strategy.
- Maintaining health and safety standards and insurances for the Ethex office and ensuring a good working environment for staff.
- Providing day to day HR support to Ethex – contracts, payroll, ensuring staff management practices are adhered to.
Reports to: CEO
Direct Reports: Senior Operations Manager, Operations Manager, Investment Support Officer, Finance Administrator
- Ability to perform at a senior operational level with both internal and external stakeholders.
- Experience leading significant budgets with diverse streams of income and expenditure.
- Ideally with a financial or accounting background.
- Experience of working in a social investment or social sector or not-for-profit organisation.
- Experience of working in a start-up/fin-tech environment.
- ‘can-do’ attitude.
- We want to create a positive impact and make a difference in the world.
- We love helping communities, social entrepreneurs and businesses in innovative ways.
- We aim to provide excellent customer service and treat all our investors fairly.
- We are a dynamic, professional and knowledgeable team with a friendly, can do attitude.
- We are a small team that likes delivering big impact.
What it means to be part of the Ethex team
- You can work with mission driven, happy people and help grow an award winning fintech social enterprise.
- Visit some of the social businesses we are supporting to see positive impact on the ground.
- Put forward awesome projects that we should be raising investment for.
- Enjoy flexible working hours if it works for you and us.
- A good amount of holiday plus some extra days around Christmas when we close to have a rest.
- Statutory pension scheme.
- Plenty of bike racks to stash your bike.
How to apply
Please contact Careers 4 Change:
Deadline for applications is 13th December 2019.
1st interviews: 17/18th December 2019.
2nd interviews: 19th December 2019.
The Ethex team are here to help from 9am to 5pm
01865 403 304