KPSI 2 - Providing venture support for start-ups with a positive social impact
BGV’s venture support
Investing in purpose-driven companies at an early-stage can be one of the most effective ways for investors to have impact. Providing capital and support to tech for good companies gives ambitious solutions an opportunity to launch and grow which may not have been possible otherwise.
BGV has been doing this since 2012, as the first accelerator in Europe to focus exclusively on tech for good. They have run 15 cohorts of their pioneering programme for ambitious founders. The programme combines a rigorous selection process with investment, connections and intensive mentoring and support.
One of their recent programmes received a Net Promoter Score of 80 - defining it as ‘world-class’.
The accelerator has been designed to provide early stage companies with everything they need to rapidly develop, test and launch their business. It comprises of:
• Investment: £30,000 in exchange for 7% equity
• Learning: a tailored programme of workshops and talks
• Office hours: weekly meetings with the BGV team to keep startups on track
• Peer support: valuable support from other startups and from 200+ founders
• Mentoring: regular connections with BGV's community of 50+ mentors and advisors
• Investor and industry connections: introductions and one-to one meetings
• Coworking space: a creative and collaborative working environment
• Demo Day: a public event at the end of the programme to celebrate progress and attract further support.
After the accelerator programme each company will receive life-long venture advice and support through BGV's regular portfolio workshops and events. In addition, each company is assigned two BGV investment staff, who regularly monitor progress and further needs. They will identify mentors in BGV's network to help with specific technical or commercial requirements, and make connections within the company's co-investor network to identify sources of further investment.
BGV has a wide network of mentors who generously contribute their time to help our companies succeed. It has 50+ active mentors spanning technology, investment, legal, accounting, design, marketing and communications. The mentor network includes serial entrepreneurs, social impact specialists, industry experts and well-networked connectors.