As we enter the final week of 2020, we’re reflecting on a rather surreal year and taking the time to pause and look retrospectively at what our community of amazing investors have enabled Ethex and the extraordinary organisations we raise finance for to achieve.
- Despite the challenges posed by COVID we raised 20%+ more investment than in 2019 - that’s even more money doing good and helping to build back better.
- With your support and commitment, we were able to successfully complete 14 investment raises, providing extraordinary organisations like Co Cars, Low Carbon Hub, Ecological Land Co-op and Common Ground with the finance they need to put more electric cars on the road, bring more renewable energy projects into community ownership, promote better eco-agricultural practices and provide permanent places to live for homeless people in Scotland.
- 3 projects completely smashed their target raise expectations and included - Ecological Land Co-op, Co Cars and Common Ground Against Homelessness
- In December 2020 we hit a major milestone of £100 million raised across both Ethex’s website and our sister platform Energise Africa, thanks to a growing community of 20,000 people who are actively using their money to protect people and the planet.
- 2 strategic partnerships were established with People’s Postcode Lottery and MCS Charitable Foundation to provide £1 million of match funding and co-investment into environmentally and socially focused organisations which will help to crowd in a further £3 million of investment from the crowd throughout 2020 and 2021.
Pivoting our business to do more digitally
We shifted our engagement with organisations and people investing online as a result of COVID - running 15 webinars which provided a great platform for organisations to demonstrate their pioneering and impactful business models to potential investors.
- 3 webinars were held as part of London Climate Action Week - enabling Ethex and Energise Africa to reach a whole new audience of people interested in using their money to tackle climate change.
- Ethex was featured twice in the Guardian and twice on Sky News - showcasing some of our fantastic offers including Brighton and Hove CLT, Common Ground and Bristol Energy Cooperative, and which provided a significant boost to investment.
Exciting developments for 2021
2021 is already shaping up to be an exciting year for us too. We have been making several strategic hires in key areas to help Ethex and Energise Africa fulfil their mission to help more people use their money to back extraordinary organisations and together, help create a greener, fairer and happier future.
Ethex also has some exciting news with regards to our brand and we’ll be communicating those updates early in 2021, including the launch of a new and updated website, so stay tuned for further information.
As we look forward to taking a break this festive season we feel extremely positive and hopeful that despite the continued uncertainty of our day-to-day lives that together we can achieve great things when it comes to fighting climate change, creating fairer societies and building resilient communities.
We want to again say a huge and heartfelt thank you to our entire community of positive investors and supporters. We wish you all a safe, peaceful and happy festive season, in whatever form it takes this year and look forward to helping you #makemoneydogood in 2021.